Armed Forces Muslim Association
Located on the south east corner of Horsell Common, near to Woking’s Shah Jahan Mosque, the Muslim Burial Ground was commissioned in 1915.
Originally known as the Woking Muslim Military Cemetery, it features distinctive architectural features such as a traditional domed archway entrance, known as a Chattri, minarets and ornate red brick walls reflected the Mughal style of the nearby mosque.
The site soon became the final resting place of 19 Muslim soldiers from the Great War and a further eight casualties of the Second World War. All 27 servicemen fought in different regiments for the allied troops. Many were recruited from what is now Pakistan. Local people tended the grounds until 1921 when the upkeep of the cemetery was taken over by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. In 1969, the decision was made by the Commission to exhume the bodies and reinter them at the larger Brookwood Military Cemetery.
Now known as the Muslim Burial Ground, the site played host to the Inaugural National Muslim Service of Commemoration on Saturday 6 October. Organised by the Armed Forces Muslim Association the service featured musical performances, readings, and speeches from Imam Asim Hafiz, Islamic Religious Advisor to the Chief of Defence Staff and Service Chiefs, and the Legion’s National Chairman Terry Whittles amongst others.