Job application

Five ways we support ex-serving into employment

Finding a job after leaving the Armed Forces can be a challenge.

RBL can help support you and your family, during and after your time in the Armed Forces.

Here are five ways we can help ex-military find jobs.

Expert Advice from the Royal British Legion

1. Career advice

We work with a range of partners who can help serving and ex-serving personnel and their families prepare for employment as they transition into civilian life. Our partner the Forces Employment Charity - can give you advice on how to put your skills to good use, and help you find and fund the education and training you need to succeed.
Forces Employment Charity

Our team is just a phone call away

Call us on 0808 802 8080. Lines are open from 8am-8pm every day.

2. Support with training

If you need help paying for training or equipment for a new job, you can apply for a training, travel, accommodation and equipment grant from RBL. 

Grants of up to £1,000 are available and can also be used to cover childcare and medical costs linked to difficulties around attending training.

3. Help getting professional licences

If you need a professional licence for a job, you can apply for a licences grant

You can use this grant to fund the provision of a professional licence that is needed for your work, such as a Security Industry Authority (SIA) licence.

Two people visiting a Royal British Legion pop in Centre

4. Developing employment skills

Our partner Royal British Legion Industries (RBLI) help veterans find work or a new career through their employment support programme – LifeWorks.
Royal British Legion Industries

LifeWorks courses are free to veterans across the UK and help people identify strengths as well as potential career or training opportunities.

5. Benefits advice

Our financial support team can help to check if you are getting the benefits you are entitled to, including benefits for Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

If you are currently on a low income, out of work or you cannot work you may be able to claim Universal Credit.

Discover more

Back to top