Advice on housing insecurity and accommodation situations

Housing Advice

There are any number of reasons that you may find yourself in difficulty over housing.

We’re here to help you get back on your feet as well as refer you to partner organisations who can provide any specialist support you might need.

If you, or a family member, are at risk of homelessness, housing insecurity or simply trying to understand what your rights are and what assistance you are eligible to receive the following resources can help.

Emergency Accommodation

If you are currently homeless or at immediate risk of homelessness, contact Shelter. If you do not have a place to stay tonight or are at immediate risk of becoming homeless, you can get help with emergency accommodation from Shelter. Call the Shelter emergency helpline on 0808 1644 660 or visit one of their websites.

If you are in Northern Ireland, please see the emergency advice page on Housing Advice NI.

Shelter can also advise what assistance you are entitled to from your local authorities as well as helping you to access further support.

Social housing

Social housing (also known as council housing or housing association housing) refers to homes that are owned by the council or housing associations. Priority is given to those who are deemed to be most in need. Members of the Armed Forces community who have previously served may be recognised as being in a priority-needs group.

For more information about local councils' housing priorities as well as what legal obligations local councils have when it comes to housing for certain Armed Forces applicants – please visit our social housing page.

Accommodation rights

After Bereavement

If you live in Service Family Accommodation and your husband/wife/civil partner dies while serving, you will be entitled to stay in the property for a period of up to two years. This allows you time to assess and plan for your future housing needs along with assistance from the MOD liaison. Once plans are in place, it is MOD policy to then issue 93 days’ notice to vacate, or 40 days with Substitute Service Family Accommodation.

Other Resources

The Defence Transition Service (DTS) can provide specialist housing advice to help you in understanding your housing options and walk you through the process.

After Relationship Breakdown

The right to Service Family Accommodation depends on whether you are current serving or a former dependent of serving personnel.

  • If you are serving when your relationship is dissolved, then your right to stay in family quarters comes to an end, unless you have children who continue to live with you. If you do not have children, or children living with you, you will usually be allocated Single Living Accommodation.
  • If you are a former dependent of serving personnel when your relationship is dissolved, your right to stay in family quarters comes to an end and you will have to find alternative accommodation. As a former dependant you may be allowed to stay in your home for a limited time on compassionate grounds, however, this is at the discretion of the Armed Services.

Failure to find alternative accommodation and remain in family quarters could lead to you being issued with an eviction notice (usually giving you 93 days’ notice) and you may end up paying trespass damages. If you have already received an eviction notice you should contact the Housing Allocations Service Centre on 0800 169 6322.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Search our Knowledge Base for more information.
Knowledge Base

Discover More

Back to top