Mais House offers expert care and support for the Armed Forces community and their families, including residential, nursing and respite care.
Just a few miles from the coast in East Sussex, Mais House is set within stunning landscape gardens, complete with wheelchair access, providing a picturesque haven for residents and visitors alike.
Residents have private rooms but are invited to relax in our lounge areas, have a drink at the bar or take advantage of a quiet, well-stocked library. We have created a warm and friendly atmosphere where everyone feels at home, complemented by our residents shared experiences of the Armed Forces and the camaraderie this inspires.
Mais House Key Summary
We've put together a key summary document of Mais House to help you consider whether it's the right care home for you.
Our team are passionate about helping residents feel at home and make the most of every day.
Our team make sure there’s plenty of fun to enjoy each day, including evening concerts, film showings, live music, art classes and more.
We also organise regular trips to nearby town Bexhill-on-Sea – as well as Eastbourne, Brighton and beyond – so our residents can enjoy a stroll along the seafront, a spot of shopping or satisfy any cravings for fish and chips!
For those who are not able to travel, we bring the town to them with themed dinners, a weekly trolley shop plus visits from the hairdresser.
Care home recruitment
During the COVID-19 outbreak our highest priority is the safety and well-being of our elderly and vulnerable veterans. More than ever the Legion needs skilled staff to help us care for those living in our care homes. So we can keep delivering the care they deserve, we need more staff to cover for sickness and absence.
We are calling on nurses, care assistants, general assistants, catering staff, administrators and maintenance staff, who are available for work now. We’ve got full and part time roles at our six UK care homes in Taunton, Cromer, Broadstairs, Bexhill-on-Sea, Southam and Ripon. The Legion is also looking to recruit an army of casual staff members able to provide temporary support to the homes during this crisis.
If you can help us by filling any of the roles in one of our homes, or know someone who can, please contact the Legion as soon as possible on 0808 802 8080 or LegionNeedsYou@britishlegion.org.uk.
Address and contact
Mais House, 18 Hastings Road, Bexhill-on-Sea,
East Sussex TN40 2HH
Telephone: 01424 215 871
Fax: 01424 732 197
There are many things to consider when deciding to move yourself, or a family member, into a care home. We've recently put together a key summary document of Mais House to help you consider whether it's the right care home for you.
The document provides useful details of the following and more:
- Type of care
- Funding options and fees
- Admission requirements
- Trial period
Services and facilities
- 24-hour residential care, including
- Nursing care
- Respite care
- End of life (Butterfly Suite)
- Staff at the home helping you to wash, bathe and take medication, and helping with other personal services
- A laundry service for your bedding and clothes
- Physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech and language therapy
- Care planning, your accommodation and your meals (including any dietary requirements), snacks and drinks
- Access to local GP Access to local dentist and optical services
- Access to full range of NHS services via referral from GP or outpatient clinics
- Office services such as photocopying
- Home visits from private hairdresser (additional cost)
- Furnished room including bed, bedding, wardrobe, chest of drawers, chair, carpet, TV socket and landline phone socket
- En-suite facility including wash basin, toilet, shower and towels
- Passenger lift
- Wheelchair access
- Minibus and other transport
- Resident's kitchenette
- A varied and interesting programme of social and leisure activities with support to maintain hobbies
- Shared computer with internet access
- Open visiting hours: family and friends can also join our residents for a meal by booking in advance
- Pets are welcome to visit
Social interaction, camaraderie and helping residents pursue their interests and hobbies play a big part in day-to-day life here.
Our dedicated activity coordinator organises a whole range of activities and events, including a summer fête, evening concerts, live music, art classes and dinners. There’s a cinema experience and activity room, with an arts and crafts section.
A hairdresser and physiotherapist visit twice weekly. For those unable to venture out we have a weekly trolley shop.
- Local authority funding
- NHS continuing health care funding
Who can stay?
Any veterans, Serving personnel and their dependents, men and women of all ages, are welcome to apply for a place at Mais House.
There’s a shared bond at Mais House because each resident has a Service connection. It means there’s a team spirit and a feeling that everyone looks out for each other.
Our excellent team of care assistants and nurses provide a genuinely relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We feel that sharing in the lives of veterans who did so much for our country is both a pleasure and a privilege.
Residents can relax in one of our lounges, enjoy a drink at the bar or take advantage of a quiet, well stocked library. There’s a conservatory with pleasant views and beautiful landscaped gardens which have full wheelchair access.
More about Mais House
Call our team on 01424 215 871 or download our brochure to find out more.