London to Ypres
Join us on a four-day bike ride and experience the poignant history of the First World War.
LocationLondon - France - Belgium
This bike ride challenge remembers the incredible sacrifices made by all those who fought in the First World War. With a dedicated historian joining us for the whole trip, you can combine your love of cycling and history as you take on this special event for The Royal British Legion.
The four-day cycling journey will start from London and pass through the historic Somme region of France, where rolling road closures will let you focus purely on cycling, before finishing in Ypres.
Visiting battlefields, cemeteries and memorials along the route will bring a strong feeling of Remembrance to this scenic bike ride.
The registration fee is £650 (£150 deposit + £500 balance due on 1 April 2018).
We ask our participants to have a fundraising target of £900, so we can continue our work to provide vital support to the Armed Forces community.
Please read our terms & conditions carefully before registering.
It’s a challenging ride and you will need to train to make the most of the experience, but the Legion's specialist support team will be with you all the way. Riders can choose from different speed groups and will be able to switch between the groups throughout the event. The cycle will finish at the Menin Gate Memorial where there will be a special ceremony followed by a celebration dinner at the hotel in Lille.
- Transport - including ferry crossing and a Eurostar ticket from Lille to London
- Four nights’ accommodation from the ride start (if you do not wish to share a room, single rooms are available for an additional supplement of £225)
- All meals - except breakfast on first day and lunch on the last day
- Celebration dinner on the final night
- Catered pit stops
- A dedicated historian on route
- Support vehicles carrying luggage to each overnight stop
- Fully signposted route in England and motorbike convoy with rolling road closures in France and Belgium
- Medical support from paramedics and physio team
- Mechanical support (all labour costs are covered but you will be billed for any spare parts used in repairing your bike)
- Motorbike support marshals
- Full support prior to the ride including training advice, equipment checklist and information
- An official Royal British Legion cycle jersey
- A medal for completing the ride
- A Royal British Legion digital fundraising pack
- A dedicated supporter care team to manage any questions you might have
We have a dedicated historian on route: Dan Hill will be your personal tour guide at all the sites we visit. He has worked on the national Somme commemorations and is a battlefield guide on the Western Front.
Day 1: London to Calais
Day 2: Calais to Abbeville
Day 3: Abbeville to Arras
Day 4: Arras to Ypres to Lille
Day 5: Lille to London
The detailed route will be released at a later date.