London to Ypres
Join us on a four-day bike ride and experience the poignant history of the First World War.
Use the discount code MAR50 at the checkout to get £50 off the registration fee.
This bike ride challenge remembers the incredible sacrifices made by all those who fought in the First World War. With a dedicated historian joining us for the whole trip, you can combine your love of cycling and history as you take on this special event for The Royal British Legion.
The four-day cycling journey will start from London and pass through the historic Somme region of France, where rolling road closures will let you focus purely on cycling, before finishing in Ypres.
Visiting battlefields, cemeteries and memorials along the route will bring a strong feeling of Remembrance to this scenic bike ride.
The registration fee is £650 (£150 deposit + £500 balance due on 1 April 2018).
We ask our participants to have a fundraising target of £900, so we can continue our work to provide vital support to the Armed Forces community.
- Transport - including ferry crossing and a Eurostar ticket from Lille to London
- Four nights’ accommodation from the ride start (if you do not wish to share a room, single rooms are available for an additional supplement of £225)
- All meals - except breakfast on first day and lunch on the last day
- Celebration dinner on the final night
- Catered pit stops
- A dedicated historian on route
- Support vehicles carrying luggage to each overnight stop
- Fully signposted route in England and motorbike convoy with rolling road closures in France and Belgium
- Medical support from paramedics and physio team
- Mechanical support (all labour costs are covered but you will be billed for any spare parts used in repairing your bike)
- Motorbike support marshals
- Full support prior to the ride including training advice, equipment checklist and information
- An official Royal British Legion cycle jersey
- A medal for completing the ride
- A Royal British Legion digital fundraising pack
- A dedicated supporter care team to manage any questions you might have
- Dedicated historian on the ride: Dan Hill will be your personal tour guide at all the sites we visit. He has worked on the national Somme commemorations and is a battlefield guide on the Western Front.
Why cycle for us?
Your fundraising has a truly life changing impact on the people we help. Take some time to read about Anna Pollock, she will tell you about how the recumbent bike that the Legion funded got her life back on track and gave her back her passion for doing physical activity. Anna is taking part in one of our cycling events this year.