Watch our VE Day 75 livestream highlights.
Grab a cup of tea and join us as we bring the World War Two generation together with today’s generation to chat about their shared experiences.
Our livestream programme
Presented by newsreader Sonali Shah, we're shared stories and memories from those who served and sacrificed during the Second World War, as well as recognising the difficulties people are experiencing today.
Our highlights programme includes:
- 00:02:36: A forward from Dame Vera Lynn read by actress Lesley Sharp.
- 00:03:30: Paralympic athlete Baroness Grey-Thompson talked about tracing her grandfather William's war history.
- 00:08:30: 101 year old Mary Lawson talked about her experience of living and working in London during the war.
- 00:10:55: Donald Hunter shared his story as Merchant Navy veteran.
- 00:16:35: Dame Joan Collins talked about her experiences as an evacuee.
- 00:20:05: Social historian Julie Summers drew on the parallels between WW2 and our current experiences with COVID-19.
- 00:25:45: The Royal British Legion Standards.
- 00:27:00: HRH The Earl of Wessex spoke to veteran Ada Chell.
- 00:29:47: HRH The Countess of Wessex spoke to veteran Louis Goodwin.
- 00:33:03: Sabrina Ellis talked about her role as an RVS Volunteer.
- 00:36:32: The combined Military/NHS virtual orchestra performed “We’ll Meet Again”.
- 00:39:20: Sister Laura Kirby Deacon a former Royal Auxiliary Air Force Nurse talked about life as a nurse during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 00:43:26: Mary Bowen-Bravery was an RAF Nurse in the war, she shared her experiences as a young woman at the time.
- 00:50:50: Sonali interviewed D-Day veteran Harry Reid.
- 00:57:00: Author, real food activist and sustainability champion, Melissa Hemsely shared her recipe for VE Day fritters inspired by Victory Gardens and rationing.
- 01:02:16: Bill Taylor Royal Navy veteran shared his memories of life as sea and VE Day.
- 01:10:25: HRH The Princess Royal spoke to Dorothy Pettican Runnicles.
- 01:15:10: Former Blue Peter Presenter Radzi Chinyanganya shared his journey of retracing his grandmother's war time steps.
- 01:20:30: Alfie Boe and Twinnie sang their rendition of Somewhere over the Rainbow
- 01:23:35: Closing by the RBL National President, Lieutenant General James Ian Bashall CB CBE.