Our members and supporters are at the heart of our work, enabling us to provide lifelong support for the Armed Forces community – serving and ex-serving personnel and their families.
Supporting us should be a rewarding experience. We are registered with the Fundraising Regulator and comply with the key principles embodied in their Fundraising Promise:
We will commit to high standards
- We will adhere to the Fundraising Code of Practice.
- We will monitor fundraisers, volunteers and third parties working with us to raise funds, to ensure that they comply with the Code of Fundraising Practice and with this Promise.
- We will comply with the law as it applies to charities and fundraising.
- We will display the Fundraising Regulator badge on our fundraising material to show we are committed to good practice.
We will be clear, honest and open
- We will tell the truth and we will not exaggerate.
- We will do what we say we are going to do with donations we receive.
- We will be clear about who we are and what we do.
- We will give a clear explanation of how you can make a gift and change a regular donation.
- Where we ask a third party to fundraise on our behalf, we will make this relationship and the financial arrangement transparent.
- We will be able to explain our fundraising costs and show how they are in the best interests of our cause if challenged.
- We will ensure our complaints process is clear and easily accessible.
- We will provide clear and evidence based reasons for our decisions on complaints.
We will be respectful
- We will respect your rights and privacy.
- We will not put undue pressure on you to make a gift. If you do not want to give or wish to cease giving, we will respect your decision.
- We will have a procedure for dealing with people in vulnerable circumstances and it will be available on request.
- Where the law requires, we will get your consent before we contact you to fundraise.
- If you tell us that you do not want us to contact you in a particular way we will not do so. We will work with the Telephone, Mail and Fundraising Preference Services to ensure that those who choose not to receive specific types of communication do not have to.
We will be fair and reasonable
- We will treat donors and the public fairly, showing sensitivity and adapting our approach depending on your needs.
- We will take care not to use any images or words that intentionally cause distress or anxiety.
- We will take care not to cause nuisance or disruption to the public.
We will be accountable and responsible
- We will manage our resources responsibly and consider the impact of our fundraising on our donors, supporters and the wider public.
- If you are unhappy with anything we have done whilst fundraising, you can contact us to make a complaint. We will listen to feedback and respond appropriately to compliments and criticism we receive.
- We will have a complaints procedure, a copy of which will be available on our website or available on request.
- Our complaints procedure will let you know how to contact the Fundraising Regulator in the event that you feel our response is unsatisfactory.
- We will monitor and record the number of complaints we receive each year and share this data with the Fundraising Regulator on request.
The Royal British Legion additionally promises that:
- We comply with the law including those that apply to data protection, health and safety and the environment.
- We only work with professional fundraising organisations that meet our high standards, working with them in a transparent way.
- We will share how much money we make each year and how this is spent.
- We are clear about who we are, what we do and how your gift is used.
- Your data is safe with us. We only collect data that is required and relevant and do not share our supporter details with charities or other third parties unless they are acting on our behalf. We never sell on your details Please see our Data Protection, Privacy and Communications Policy for more details of how we manage your data.
- We monitor and record the number of complaints we receive and publish this information in our Annual Report as well as sharing this with the Fundraising Regulator.
If you want to know more, we'd love to hear from you. Please contact our Supporter Care team using the following details:
- Telephone: 0333 011 4500
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: The Royal British Legion, 199 Borough High Street, London SE1 1AA