The Royal British Legion offers free week-long Adventure Breaks to children of men and women who are currently serving, or have served in the Armed Forces.
Adventure Breaks are a great opportunity for young people to enjoy themselves, meet new people, have new experiences, improve their self-esteem and most of all have fun, while giving parents a well-earned break.
The Legion’s Adventure Breaks are provided in partnership with Xplore the World.
Where and when?
Adventure Breaks are available from Saturday 12 to Saturday 19 August 2017. Application forms need to be received by Friday 21 July to be considered for a break this year.
The breaks take place in Worksop (Nottinghamshire), Westonbirt (Gloucestershire), Pangbourne (Berkshire) and Finborough (Suffolk). Parents should aim to transport their children to and from the Adventure Break location, but transport can be provided where necessary through agreement with the Legion. Adventure Break locations may be subject to demand.
What do you get?
An Adventure Break package includes:
- Seven nights’ accommodation with three meals a day
- All activities
- A day out to a theme park
- Pocket money
- Travel to and from the Centre (where necessary)
Activities can include:
- Mountain Biking
- Quad biking
- Arts & crafts
- DVD nights
Visit the Xplore the World website for more information.
How to apply
If you are part of the currently serving or ex-Service community who are eligible for Legion help and if you answer YES to just one of the questions below, then your children (between the ages of 12 and 17 at their next birthday) qualify for an adventure break.
- Are you a one parent household because of bereavement or break up of the family?
- Is one parent currently serving on overseas operations or is to be deployed?
- Is one parent caring for a disabled partner?
- Is one parent suffering from mental or physical trauma?
- Have you not had a holiday away from home in 2 years?
- Do you support your household with less than £30,000 gross annual income per year? (excluding War Disabled Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments).
For further information on how to apply for an Adventure Break, call our helpline on 0808 802 8080 or by email.
Adventure Breaks within the serving community
We are always working to improve our services and now work with Service welfare organisations such as the Army Welfare Service (AWS) and RAF Community Support to develop a broader range of adventure break services for young people from the serving community.
In recent years, groups of young people went on a variety of breaks including:
- Creative project breaks based on arts and crafts skills
- A young person's adventure centre in Austria
- East Barnby Outdoor Pursuits Centre
- Waterpark Adventure Centre in the Lake District
- Robin Wood Education Centre in Lancashire
- A team building and activity break with Manchester United Foundation including a tour of Old Trafford.
If you are currently serving, and believe that our Adventure Break service would be of benefit to your children, please contact your local support officeror community welfare office to see if they are running schemes locally.
Please also see our Family Holiday Breaks which offers breaks for the whole family.