In order to participate in a Royal British Legion cycle ride, you must agree to the following conditions. Please read this page carefully it contains important information.
Entry forms and fees
- In return for a place on one of the Royal British Legion's bike rides (hereinafter known as 'RBL'), all Participants must complete an entry form and pay the notified registration fee whether participating as an individual or in a team.
- On events that the registration fee is split between a deposit and balance, the balance must be paid eight weeks before the event. Failure to pay the balance on time may result in the Participant forfeiting the place on the chosen event.
Fundraising and sponsorship
- All fundraising activity undertaken as part of the Event must be for the benefit of RBL's vital work only.
- Participants may be asked to raise a Minimum Sponsorship as part of the participation in an Event. If this is the case, RBL will make this clear in the relevant event information and specify the sum needed to be raised. Failure to meet the minimum sponsorship may affect the Participant's chances of entry in subsequent years.
- All funds raised for RBL's work shall be paid to the Legion as soon as is practical through an authorised online fundraising page (Justgiving /Virgin Money Giving) or sent to the charity’s head office no later than two months after the last day of the event. Mass Events, Royal British Legion, 199 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1AA.
- Should the Participant have to cancel the place, all donations or sponsorship already paid to RBL are non-refundable to the Participant. Monies may only be refunded directly to the donor on written request.
Age of participants
- For safety reasons, all participants must be aged over 18 (or over 16 if accompanied by a parent or guardian) at the start of the ride.
- An accompanying adult must be registered to participate in the Event as must any young person they are accompanying.
- Participants over 65 must provide a medical certificate from their doctor stating they are medically able to take part in the event.
Health and fitness
- The Events RBL organises are physical and can be strenuous, so Participants must ensure that they are sufficiently fit and healthy to participate in the Event safely. See our online training zone for more tips on how to prepare.
- Participants who have any doubt about their health or have a medical condition that could be affected by exercise, particularly a heart condition, epilepsy or asthma, must provide a medical certificate from their doctor stating they are medically able to take part in the Event before participating.
- By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, the Participant confirms that they take full responsibility that they are sufficiently fit and healthy enough to safely participate in the Event and for their personal well-being.
- In addition to the Participants needing to arrange their own travel insurance for Events outside of the UK, Participants also need to obtain an EHIC Card which entitles the bearer to varying levels of treatment whilst in the EU. Full information can be obtained from the Post Office.
- All Participants take part in RBL Events at their own risk. All Participants must ensure that any equipment or clothing used is in good condition and suitable for the Event.
- All Participants must follow instructions from officials and marshals before, during and immediately after an Event.
- All Participants acknowledge and agree that cycling on the highway is a dangerous activity. Whilst RBL shall take steps to ensure that all Events take place in a safe manner, Participants acknowledge and agree that as Events often take place in public spaces RBL cannot be held liable for any damage caused outside of its direct control.
- Participants must observe the rules of the Highway Code and obey the Rules of the Road.
- Participants acknowledge and agree the dangers associated with the consumption of alcohol and/or drugs before during and after the event, understand this may impair judgment and motor skills and take responsibility for any injury, loss or damage associated with the Participants’ consumption.
Bicycles and cycling helmets
- All Participants must wear a cycle helmet during the Event.
- A standard hybrid or road bike will be sufficient for the Event’s needs. No mountain or fixed wheel bikes are allowed on the rides.
- E-bikes are permitted but there is a limited number that can be taken on the ride due to charging facilities. Riders must contact the event organisers to confirm permission to bring an e-bike.
- Riders with e-bikes are responsible for their own parts and for bringing their own adapters and charging points. Riders are also responsible for ensuring their bike is fully charged each evening.
Liability and insurance
Neither RBL nor its agents or contractors shall be liable for:
- Any injury or accident causing loss or damage to a Participant where this is sustained as a result of a Participant taking part in the Event, save where this is a direct result of the actions or negligence of RBL, its agents or contractors.
RBL shall not be liable for any loss or damage sustained by a Participant as a result of the cancellation of an Event by RBL for any reason; any changes made to an Event by RBL for safety or any other reasons; or any circumstances beyond the control of RBL.
- Participants shall be responsible for arranging their own suitable and adequate insurance protection to cover their participation in an Event, including, without limitation, cover for material loss/damage, insurance in respect of any equipment they may use in the Event, personal property (including clothing), any loss or damage they may cause to a third party, medical expenses, death, injury, repatriation, cancellation and curtailment or negligence of any party. Participants must inform their insurer of the type of activity being undertaking.
- Each Participant is responsible for his/her actions whilst attending or participating in the Event. This includes at the Event start point, during the Event and at the completion point. RBL accepts no responsibility for the actions of a Participant nor the consequences of such actions.
Withdrawal and refunds
- If the participant cancels their place in the Event, the initial deposits / registrations are non-refundable.
- For registrations with a split deposit and balance payment, 50% of the balance payment may be refunded if the cancellation is made six weeks or more before the Event. For cancellations less than six weeks before the Event, the balance is non-refundable.
- Registrations to participate in an Event are non-transferable to another year. A Participant may transfer their registration to another individual for that year’s Event at the discretion of RBL.
Cancellation and changes to an event
- In the event that RBL is forced to cancel an Event for any reason, we will notify all Participants as soon as possible, and if the Participant wishes to claim a refund of the Registration Fee, we must be notified within 14 days of us sending the notification of the cancellation. If we do not receive a request for a refund, we will treat the Registration Fee as a donation to the work of the charity.
- While RBL endeavours to adhere to the itinerary provided, there may be exceptional circumstances when this is not possible.RBL reserves the right to alter the Event details as required. If changes to the Event Date are made, RBL shall update the Event information and notify all Participants affected as soon as reasonably practicable. No refund in full or part shall be made in respect of any change to the Event, subject to the clause below.
In the event of a change of the Event Date, Participants will have the right within 14 days of receiving notice of this change, to request a refund of their Registration Fee and withdraw from the Event or to transfer their registration to a third party.
Travel and accommodation
- Participants are responsible for all travel to the start point and from the end point of the chosen Event unless otherwise stated in the Event itinerary.
- Participants are responsible for any accommodation needed prior to the start of the Event.
- For overseas events, Participants must be in possession of a valid passport at the time of travelling.
- On multi-day events, unless a single room supplement is paid for at the time of application, accommodation will be on a shared basis. Participants will only be placed in a shared room with another person of the same gender.
Photos and publicity
- Photographs and films will be taken throughout each Event by RBL and/or its contractors. All Participants consent to all and any use in any media by RBL of any photographs and/or films in which they feature, and the parents or guardians of any Participants under 18 give consent in respect of their child(ren).
- All Participants and the parents or guardians of Participants under 18 acknowledge and agree that no payment will be made to any Participant for the use of any photographs or films in which they may feature.
- Each Participant agrees that information provided to RBL in connection with Events may be used byRBL in accordance with prevailing data protection legislation.
- RBL will use the information provided by Participants, to manage the Event and the Participants involvement in it. RBL will keep the Participant up to date with RBL
- Participants will agree to provide emergency contact information when registering for an Event.
- We reserve the right to pass all information provided by a Participant to any first aid organisation or medical provider attending and assisting at an Event, for example, the St John’s Ambulance, for safety purposes. This is to enable the Medical Provider to: i. Administer first aid in the event that a Participant suffers illness or injury during the Event; and ii. To contact the friends or relatives of a Participant, where necessary.
- Participants agree that any Medical Provider may provide RBL with: i. The names of any Participant that they treat during the Event together with details of the circumstances surrounding that treatment; and ii. The name of any Participant who notifies the Medical Provider that they are withdrawing from an Event due to ill health or otherwise.
- Your personal data may also be shared with other organisations in order to organise your transport and accommodation.
During the event
All Participants must abide by any instructions given by RBL, their employees or agents during an Event. Failure to follow any such instructions may result in RBL refusing to allow the Participant to continue in the Event.
Some of our Events, and in particular our endurance Events, may require Participants to reach certain points in the Event by certain times or require the Event to be completed in its entirety by a set time. If a Participant does not manage to keep up with any stage or completion times, RBL reserves the right to transport the participant to the next stop or refuse to allow the Participant to continue in the Event.
Acceptance of these terms and conditions
By completing the application form, the Participant is legally agreeing to the Terms and Conditions laid out above. If you are applying on behalf of the Participant, you must make sure they have read and understood the Terms and Conditions clearly.