Help raise money
There are many ways to volunteer with us throughout the year and across the country. As well as the annual Poppy Appeal, there are many opportunities to volunteer with us and help raise valuable funds for our Armed Forces community.
Get involved with the Poppy Appeal
The Poppy Appeal is our annual appeal to raise vital funds for our Veterans, Servicemen and women, and their families. The Appeal starts in late October and runs through to Armistice Day, 11 November.
There’s a lot of work to do behind the scenes and many ways you can help, as an individual or as part of a group. It’s good for you too – volunteering with us will give you experience of contributing to a national fundraising campaign.
Volunteer as an organiser
Poppy Appeal Organisers (and Deputies) work with our Community Fundraisers throughout the year to plan and organise the Poppy Appeal in local areas. This includes:
- Ensuring there are enough collectors in your area
- Organising a collecting rota
- Ordering and arranging distribution of poppies and other materials
- Briefing collectors
- Collecting, counting and depositing the money raised during the appeal.
Volunteer as a collector
Our Poppy Appeal Collectors are the face of the Legion during the Poppy Appeal and help provide as many opportunities as possible for people to wear a poppy.
You need to be over 16 to collect in the street (unless you’re collecting as part of a group). We ask if you could give at least a couple of hours a week during the Appeal to help us.
Other ways to get involved
We also have opportunities for people to give a few hours a week during the Appeal to help with behind the scene roles, including:
- Drivers (with their own cars) to deliver and pick up collection boxes from shops and offices (we’ll reimburse you for your mileage)
- Office volunteers to help us respond to calls and emails requesting poppies and collection boxes, or from people wanting to volunteer
- ‘Counting’ team members to help with counting and banking the money collected
- Helping us organise stock ahead of the Appeal
- ‘Support Squad’ volunteers to give out tins and poppies to our collectors (London only).
These volunteer opportunities are open to anyone over the age of 16 (17 in the case of drivers), and do not require a DBS check.
If you’d like to volunteer during the Poppy Appeal, please get in touch before the end of September. This is a very busy time for all involved, so the earlier you can commit to volunteering the easier we can arrange it.
A Volunteer's Week thank you
The stories of a few of the thousands of fantastic volunteers who give their precious time and support to our Armed Forces communi...
The Ex-Service Veterans' Memory Café in Plymouth isn't your usual Alzheimer's care facility being both a café and support centre f...
POW's lost bible returned
When Albert Douglas was forced leave his treasured bible behind when he escaped a POW camp, he thought it was gone for good. But 7...
Christmas at Galanos House
Christmas is a special time for most families, and it is no different at The Royal British Legion's care homes. Ali Baskerville sp...