Area Office 715X195 About the Legion

His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent opens Somerset Legion House

12 February 2008

HRH The Duke of Kent visited Somerset Legion House in Weston-super-Mare today, Tuesday 12th February 2008, in order to officially open The Royal British Legion break centre.

His Royal Highness was welcomed by The Lord-Lieutenant of Somerset at 12.00pm and shown around the brand new purpose-built Poppy Break Centre before unveiling a plaque to mark the official opening. He met with staff past and present as well as with guests who are currently staying at centre.

Somerset Legion House has offered breaks to ex-Service men and women in need for almost 60 years. The original building was presented to the Legion in 1948 as a result of a local initiative. Legion branches in Somerset raised funds to purchase the former Norfolk Hotel in memory of their deceased comrades of the Second World War – the building was later dedicated as one of Somerset’s three County War Memorials.

The service was relocated to the new centre, which opened in November 2007, to enable The Royal British Legion to accommodate disabled guests and to offer improved facilities. The War Memorial Garden’s new home is at the new Somerset Legion House site.

New facilities for guests include 47 spacious bedrooms with en-suite facilities, a dining room serving excellent home-cooked food, a library, conservatory and sun terrace overlooking the sea, games room, cinema, hairdressing salon, therapy room, spa bath and licensed bar. The centre also now caters for families.

Share this page

BACK TO TOP